Portland Family Restraining Orders Lawyer

If you have been served with a restraining order, it's important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Even if the order is based on false allegations, the consequences of violating the restraining order can be very serious. You can be charged with contempt of court and placed in jail.

I offer a free initial consultation to discuss your restraining orders and answer your questions regarding Oregon laws.

Why Was I Served With a Restraining Order?

In Oregon, a person can go to the courthouse, fill out some paperwork and obtain a temporary restraining order against you if he or she feels imminent fear of harm from you. Restraining orders are often issued in divorce situations and other types of relationship disputes. They can also be issued in cases of stalking or harassment.

Once the restraining order has been served on you, you generally have 30 days to request a hearing before the judge who issued the order. At this hearing, the party who requested the order will have to prove all elements for the restraining order to continue in effect. If you don't request the hearing, the restraining order will continue in effect automatically.

Being subject to a restraining order can make your life very difficult. If you share a residence with the alleged victim, you may have to move out of your home. You will be barred from all forms of contact with the alleged victim — including asking a third party to contact the other party for you. You may be preventing from seeing your children.

Domestic Violence Restraining Orders

If you are charged with domestic violence, the court will place a restraining order on you at the time of your arraignment. Generally, you will be barred from having any contact with the alleged victim. You may also be barred from owning firearms or ammunition.

Contact a Restraining Order Defense Attorney in Portland, Oregon

You should not rely on information you read about family restraining orders on the Internet, as it may be wrong, outdated, or not apply to your situation. It's always best to discuss your case with an experienced Portland defense lawyer. Contact me online to setup your free consult.