Family Law Restraining Orders

Family Law Restraining Order Violations

If you have been served with a restraining order, it is important to seek legal help from a qualified lawyer as soon as possible. Even if the order is based on false allegations, restraining order violations can have serious consequences. You can be charged with contempt of court and placed in jail.

I am Portland criminal defense attorney Andy Green. I can help you protect your rights by building a sound defense against domestic violence charges and helping you resolve restraining order issues.

You Only Have a Short Time to Challenge a Restraining Order

In Oregon, a person can go to the courthouse, fill out some paperwork and obtain a temporary restraining order if he or she feels imminent fear of harm from you. These orders are often related to divorce matters and other relationship disputes. They are also sought out in cases involving stalking or harassment.

Once an order has been served, you generally have 30 days to request a hearing before the judge who issued the order. At this hearing, the person who requested the order will have to prove all of the necessary elements in order to remain in effect. If a hearing is not requested, the restraining order will remain in effect automatically.

A Restraining Order Can Have a Negative Impact on Your Life

Being subject to a restraining order can make your life very difficult. If you share a residence with the person who took out the order, you may have to move out of your home. You will be barred from all forms of contact with the alleged victim — including asking another person to contact the alleged victim on your behalf. You may also be prevented from seeing your children. That is why it is important to get skilled legal representation right away.

Restraining Orders and Domestic Violence Charges

If you are charged with domestic violence, the court will place a restraining order on you at the time of your arraignment. In general, you will not be allowed to contact the alleged victim. You may also be prohibited from owning firearms or ammunition. I can help defend you against domestic abuse charges.

If you have been charged with a violation of protective or restraining orders, you should get experienced legal representation immediately. Call the offices of Andy Green, Attorney at Law, P.C., or contact me online to arrange a free initial consultation.