DWI, DUI or DUII Resulting in Injury of Out Of State Drivers

There are many various ways people ending up getting DWIs, DUIs or DUIIs in Portland. Sometimes drivers get stopped for reckless driving, swerving, speeding, driving too slow, or they go through a checkpoint. In other cases an impaired driver may get into an accident and injure someone.

Let’s say an impaired driver rear ended a driver on Interstate 5. The injured party may end up seeking the advice and representation of an attorney of their own, especially if the injuries are serious. Now if this injured driver is not from Oregon, but resides in California, they may hire an attorney who is conveniently located near them. Drivers travel from Sacramento to Portland along Interstate 5 every day. A quick Google search shows us that there is an attorney in Sacramento who specializes in auto accidents, personal injury attorney Ed Smith. He also has a page dedicated to out of state accidents here. As you can see, this is something that unfortunately happens all the time.

Getting sued by a personal injury attorney is not the end of the world assuming you have adequate liability insurance coverage. If you’re not sure what that is please see Wikipedia’s page, liability insurance. If you do not, you should consult with me as soon as possible.

High Risk Insurance in Oregon

If you end up arrested for DWI and another party was injured here or anywhere, be prepared for “high risk insurance”. I may have recommendations for you for high risk insurance companies.

In Oregon, arrests for traffic offenses do remain on your record. But not all arrests result in conviction, which is yet another reason why you need to consult with a DWI attorney. A DWI conviction will remain on your record for a long time, in fact, it remains on your record permanently and may not be expunged. Oregon has some of the toughest DUI laws in the United States. Having a DUI, DUII or DWI on your record results in high risk insurance.

What to do

If you have received a DWI, DUI, or DUII resulting in (or not resulting in) injury to another driver you should get help from a defense attorney who specializes in assisting drivers who have been arrested for driving while intoxicated. I am Portland’s best so feel free to contact me or read my page dedicated to DWI, DUI or DUII defense here.